Monday, June 9, 2014

Trip to Bayreuth - The Hermitage Part 2

Continuing on with our tour...

water spray

There were several "attachments", and this crown was one of them.
And up it goes! :D

I wish we could have stayed longer in here...for better photos AND because it was so cool and refreshing!

Center courtyard. The palace was rectangular, with rooms along the perimeter and a rectangular courtyard with a small fountain in the middle.










It may be a small summer palace, but they still had a ballroom!
Gorgeous chandelier

The tour was only available in German, so we listened to this guy for an hour without understanding a thing, lol! Oh well, we bought some books so I'll have to see what juicy tidbits we missed.

I found this photo on Google. Apparently they have dancers come in with period costumes! That would be so cool to see in person!




Musicians play up here. I bet it gets really hot up there!





No clue on the story behind this, but this little dog has false eyes, which come away to create "peep holes". A person could snoop down on the room below and see what's going on. You know, if you're into that kind of thing! It's near the center of the painting on the ceiling. (Go up two pictures)








I have no clue who this woman was, but I was struck by her beauty! Usually these portraits aren't very attractive, or the artist hasn't quite perfected the body's proportions, so a person doesn't look quite right.


I don't know the story behind this room, but I've NEVER seen mirrors embedded into walls like this! It's very unique but I'm not sure if I like it or not. The inlaid floor was gorgeous though.

Gorgeous blue tiles


Old maps

Last stop, the kitchen:





Very cool looking, but I bet it was HOT, HOT, HOT to work in during the summer months!!!

The Bella by another fountain

lemon tree

Formal gardens in front of the palace


Another fun travel adventure completed!

8 comments:

Gail said...

Love the tour!
I have a thing for 'castles'!!!
Lucky you!

Rita said...

The peep holes in the dogs eyes--I bet a lot of stories could be told, eh? So much gilding and gold everywhere! That one pot on the kitchen table was so weirdly shaped. I wonder what they used it for?

This was really fun! So glad you took me with. ;)

Mary said...

I love touring palaces almost as much as churches! Thanks for putting in some pictures of ceilings; the detail is just amazing!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

thank you so much for sharing the tour with us. It was amazing. I hope to go someday.

Heatherlyn said...

WOW just WOW! All that detail. That must have taken someone a LOT of time and money. No matter what period of history a person lived in, if they had enough money they could live in a gorgeous place. My home is lovely and comfortable but just WOW all the detail for that little summer palace is amazing. Thanks for taking so many pictures and sharing with everyone.

Jeannie said...

WOW so breathtakingly gorgeous and I can only imagine how it was in person! So happy to see you are doing well and enjoying yourself.

Peace & Luv,
Jeannie

ChicagoLady said...

So much detail, from the floors to the walls to the ceilings! On the wall with the embedded mirrors, what were the other items mixed in with the mirrors? And there's a pull chain, do you know what that was for? Thank you for sharing your day with us!

AliceKay said...

What a gorgeous day to be out there enjoying the area. You have lots of awesome and beautiful shots from your visit. Thanks so much for sharing them!