Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Little Before & After Shots!

I never really organized my paper when we moved in and got all our stuff. It was getting hard to FIND the papers I had and needed....so....it was time for some organization! Ugh! And that means, make a bigger mess than you started out with!!! I started with my paper stacks and went through ALL of them. Many I had purchased when I was brand new to stamping, so I've had them a long time. It's funny how your tastes and style changes over time, because many of the things I had I no longer wanted. After separating two HUGE laundry baskets full of paper, (Right, Cat? LOL!), this is the mess I had left:
See the empty drawers on the table? I had five of them, and everything that was in those five got narrowed down to just half of ONE drawer! No point keeping anything I wasn't going to use, and I was brutal!

Paper, paper everywhere!

Every flat surface - total chaos! See the magazine holders on the right? I had three of those filled with scraps to go through as well. I threw out the rinky-dinky stuff that I couldn't BELIEVE I had kept, and organized all the colors and put them with the larger sheets of the same color.

When SU had their color renovation and discontinued most of their colors, I bought a bunch of multi-packs to have on hand. After I finished with all the paper stacks, I organized the card stock and separated all of them into individual colors, and into current and retired ones. I put the loose sheets into labeled sheet protectors to keep them nice.

Discontinued colors on the left, all in "rainbow" order. (These three originally just held scraps!) Then I had to do the same thing with the current colors, some in the box on the right. I have them in separate spots, so it's easier to find the color I need.

Card stock completed and my desk is clear....

...but I still have my designer papers yet to do! Ugh!
I separated those by holiday papers, summer & spring colors, and fall colors. Again I was brutal in my decisions on what to keep, what to give away and what to sell. It's hard letting go of stuff, even if you KNOW you aren't going to use it!!!! I guess I have some hoarding tendencies, lol!

And then....(cue cherubs singing!)...

I was finished!!! Wooo Hooo!!!
Look! I have a floor! And a clear chair, and table, and desk!!

Current card stock colors, in rainbow order.

I have the retired card stock colors on the shelf with some older designer papers, and my most used Big Shot dies. The rest of the dies I have underneath my desk. Both bottom shelves were completely re-done and are much more convenient now.

These five drawers have my most current designer papers in them and are organized - finally!

My ribbon, my beloved ribbon! And flowers!

Doesn't it look fabby??? I've gone through every single piece of paper in this room, AND wound up going through all my ribbon as well. I hadn't planned on doing that too, but I went to look for something and wound up making a huge mess doing so and there ya go! MORE organization completed, lol! I have three large boxes of miscellaneous stuff to sell on eBay, and when that's all done, I will be going through my stamp sets. There are some I have that I just don't use or need, and...gulp!...I'm going to have to be brutal with those too! But not just yet! For now...
...I will just enjoy my gloriously cleaned and organized stamp room!!!

21 comments:

Cassie said...

That's quite inspiring, Jeannie! It looks absolutely wonderful, and kudos to you for doing it! I did this not too long ago, and decided if I used even a bit of a paper stack then I got my money's worth (at least in my eyes). So, there was no use hanging onto it if I didn't want it. Enjoy your clean and organized space :D

Unknown said...

awe man, wish I was there!!! I'd buy everything from you (and would have LOVED helping you go through it all!!!). Your room look awesome, as it always does even if it is covered in a mess! Now you can start stamping all over again :) Love Ya!

Clair Matthews said...

What a beautiful room..you're a very lucky lady!! xxx

April said...

Lookin' good, Jeannie...you made everything look so spiffy!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Impressive sight that cleaned room....do you hire out?

Allyson said...

It's really funny that you just finished this project because last weekend, I cleaned my office/studio. What I really need to do is go through my beads and be brutal about what I will or won't use, some came in strands where I used part but I know I won't use the other part. But my hoarding tendency says "what if I get that one piece where I NEED this??" So, I haven't brought myself to that yet, but much like you, at least everything has a home and I can easily locate it. There's a lot to be said for that. You're so productive when you're snotty! ;)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Wow!!!!
All I can say is WOW!!!!

I can't believe all of the stuff that you have. It looks so beautiful.

I think I would hate to get into any of it because I wouldn't want to mess it up.

Good for you.
It makes me want to redo my craft room.

Catherine said...

Hahahaha! I'm the 'Cat' she referenced and WOW! I have awesome paper coming out of my ears and I LOVE it!

catdoubleyou.blogspot.com

Intense Guy said...

I can see why ya dislike moving....

:)

Emily said...

Fabulous job hun....

I really liked your ribbon organising skills and will be sure to enjoy the fruits of your labours lol

Love ya

Bloggy Hugs

Emily said...

Woo hoo I can comment again!!!

So happy that blogger seems to be letting me comment again.

Bloggy Hugs

Rita said...

That's a LOT of work! But it really does look fabulous!! Worth all the time and effort, for sure. Nice!! :)

Laura said...

Wow that is a lot of stuff and a lot of work organising it all! Congrats on getting it done :)

Huguenot Girl said...

Your room looks fab now! I need to do mine now as it's taking over the house!!! Thanks for the photos on Portofino - they are fab. Will definitely have to visit there soon! Nicole x

Unknown said...

Wow Jeannie you have a shop all to yourself there. what a fabulous craft area I am so jealous !!.
Thank you for sharing
Hugs Elaine

LindyLouMac said...

Your craft room looks amazingly well organised. :)

cardsandacuppa said...

Wow! Looking great Jeannie, gotta love a bit of sorting out :-) Must take a leaf from your book!
Hugs xx

Heatherlyn said...

It feels soooo good to be organized and to work in an organized space. You must feel great!!

AliceKay said...

Two words...holy moly. :)

Deanna said...

You did an awesome job organizing. I remember when you got the stampin cabinet and how excited you were. I didn't think there was any way you could possibly fill it up. Boy was I wrong! I need to reorganize some too now that I've gotten more stuff. It is growing....

Great job!

LadyStyx said...

Great job! You do know, once you go thru the stamps and weed them, you'll find a use for one you eliminated. Might want to not be quite as brutal with those. I'm guessing that they're harder to replace than the papers and ribbons and such.